University of California, Berkeley
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Seeks Applications for a Tenure-Track Faculty Position
in Advanced Manufacturing
Anticipated start: July 1, 2024 or on a mutually agreed date thereafter.
Open October 9, 2023 through December 11, 2023 at 11:59 pm (Pacific Time)
The DEPARTMENT OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING, University of California, Berkeley, seeks candidates for a tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant Professor level. The Department seeks candidates with expertise in the area of Advanced Manufacturing. All qualified applicants working on contemporary topics in Advanced Manufacturing will be considered, with example areas of interest including additive manufacturing, micro/nano fabrication, processing of electronic materials, processing of biomaterials, and sustainable materials and processes.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering and the Berkeley campus value diversity, equity and inclusion as exemplified by the following principles of community:
- We recognize the intrinsic relationship between diversity and excellence in all our endeavors.
- We embrace open and equitable access to opportunities for learning and development as our obligation and goal.
Our excellence can only be fully realized by faculty, students and staff who share a commitment to these principles. Successful candidates for our faculty position will demonstrate evidence of a commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion at UC Berkeley.
The Department is committed to addressing the family needs of faculty, including dual career couples and single parents. We are also interested in candidates who have had non-traditional career paths or who have taken time off for family reasons, or who have achieved excellence in careers outside academia. For more information about potential relocation to Berkeley, or career needs of accompanying partners and spouses, please visit http://ofew.berkeley.edu/newfaculty.
For more information about the Department: https://www.me.berkeley.edu/
Basic qualifications (required at time of application)
Applicants must have a Ph.D. (or equivalent international degree), or be enrolled in a Ph.D. or equivalent international degree granting program at the time of application.
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae – Your most recently updated CV
- Statement of Research
- Statement of Teaching
- 3 Publications
- Statement on Contributions to Advancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion – A statement on your contributions to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging including information about your understanding of these topics, your record of activities to date, and your specific plans and goals for advancing equity and inclusion if hired as a Berkeley faculty member will be required as part of the application package. Please note that this statement may be evaluated as a standalone document. Financial and in-kind resources are available to pursue activities that help accelerate our efforts to achieve our equity and inclusion goals, with the full backing of the College. Guidelines to applicants on writing effective statements that demonstrate commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging can be found at https://ofew.berkeley.edu/recruitment/contributions-diversity/support-faculty-candidates, and examples of related ongoing programming in the College are available at https://engineering.berkeley.edu/diversity.
- Authorization to Release Information Form – A reference check will be completed only if you are selected as the candidate to whom the hiring unit would like to extend a formal offer. Download, complete, sign, and upload the Authorization to Release Information form.
- 3 required (contact information only) Professional References: Please provide names and contact information for three professional references. We will only contact your references to request letters if you are advanced to the second round of review for the position, and we will seek your permission prior to doing so.
Application link: https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/JPF04136
Help contact: Daniela Veneros, firstname.lastname@example.org
Diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging are core values at UC Berkeley. Our excellence can only be fully realized by faculty, students, and academic and nonacademic staff who share our commitment to these values. Successful candidates for our academic positions will demonstrate evidence of a commitment to advancing equity, inclusion, and belonging.
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
The University of California is committed to creating and maintaining a community dedicated to the advancement, application, and transmission of knowledge and creative endeavors through academic excellence, where all individuals who participate in University programs and activities can work and learn together in a safe and secure environment, free of violence, harassment, discrimination, exploitation, or intimidation. Consistent with this commitment, UC Berkeley requires all applicants for Senate faculty positions to complete, sign, and upload an Authorization to Release of Information form into AP Recruit as part of their application. If an applicant does not include the signed authorization, the application will be considered incomplete, and as with any incomplete application, will not receive further consideration. Although all applicants for faculty recruitments must complete the entire application, applicants will only be subject to reference checks if and when they are selected as the candidate to whom the hiring unit would like to extend a formal offer. More information is available on this website: https://ofew.berkeley.edu/attestation-prior-misconduct.
In searches when letters of reference are required all letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. Please refer potential referees, including when letters are provided via a third party (i.e., dossier service or career center), to the UC Berkeley statement of confidentiality (http://apo.berkeley.edu/ucb-confidentiality-policy) prior to submitting their letter.
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy. All Covered Individuals under the policy must provide proof of Full Vaccination or, if applicable, submit a request for Exception (based on Medical Exemption, Disability, and/or Religious Objection) or Deferral (based on pregnancy) no later than the applicable deadline. Please refer to Appendix F, Section II.C. of the policy for the deadlines applicable to new University of California employees. (Capitalized terms in this paragraph are defined in the policy.) Federal, state, or local public health directives may impose additional requirements.
Job Location: Berkeley, CA