The Student Services Office provides information and resources that are intended to assist students during their studies and to clarify some of the necessary bureaucratic demands of the Graduate Division by acting as a liaison. It is easy to confuse the roles of this office versus those of the Graduate Division.
Graduate Division has the official word on whether a student has completed all the degree requirements for graduation and students are required to adhere to its policies (found at http://grad.berkeley.edu/policy/). The Graduate Division is also in charge of admission to the University. They can withhold admission if any documents (i.e.: transcripts, application fee, etc.) are not in order. They can also deny admission to anyone who does not meet the Graduate Division admission requirements, even though the department has recommended admission.
More details regarding the Graduate Division’s roles can be found here: http://grad.berkeley.edu/about-us/about/.
The Student Services Office is responsible for:
- Processing admission applications
- Processing petitions and forms. We also advise on, and disseminate information regarding, degree requirements and policies.
- Being students’ primary liaisons to the Graduate Division
- Maintaining student records
- Administrating fellowships
- Organizing and administering Preliminary Exams
- Administratively supporting Qualifying Exams
- GSI and Reader application processing/administrating their appointment process
- Advising students on progress towards the completion of their degrees
In general, the Student Services Office acts as a resource for information and/or referral to other University organizations when appropriate.
Please note that our office comes quite hectic from January through March due to application processing, which has strict deadlines that must be met. Though we will endeavor to help you with any requests you may have in a prompt and efficient manner, we would greatly appreciate your patience during this time period.