Preparing for Each Semester
Review course offerings on the Berkeley Guide. For information on dates, unit loads, and other relevant information as you prepare for enrollment, please visit the Berkeley Registrar’s enrollment page.
Who & Where
You should email ahead of time to set an appointment. Drop-in advising is not guaranteed and subject to your advisor’s availability.
What to Bring
To ensure that advising time is productive and that we can advise you properly, we encourage you to bring the following documents with you (you will not be advised without them):
- A Class Enrollment Form (Frosh students: this form will need to be signed by a Faculty Adviser and brought to 6189 Etcheverry Hall – please allow us at least 2 business days to remove any blocks)
- An unofficial transcript (from CalCentral). You can bring your laptop to show this.
- A copy of the ME curriculum (with your completed courses X’ed out)
- A completed ME Degree Check form
Graduating Seniors and students who plan to graduate in a given term should make sure to do a Final Degree Check with your ESS Adviser in 230 Bechtel if you have not already done so.
Undeclared Students Who Intend to Declare ME
Should first reach out to ESS. Departmental advising by ME Student Services is also available.
- Starting in Fall 2019, all students will need to take ME 100. EE 16A or E49 will no longer be accepted for the MechE Curriculum. EE 16A has not been accepted since Spring 2018.
- Starting Fall 2015, CS 61A will no longer be accepted as a substitute for E7.
- Lower Division Technical Elective courses only can count 3 units towards your 15 unit requirement.
- Students who are interested in Design should check out the Human-Centered Design Course Thread.
- Students must complete prerequisites before taking classes
- For any deviations from our degree requirements, including credit for course equivalency, (e.g. credit for courses taken in other departments, at other community colleges and/or universities, for courses taken abroad, and even for Mechanical Engineering courses that might not explicitly satisfy a requirement), submit a Yellow Petition to your ESS advisor before you take the course as we do not guarantee approval of any equivalency request. For a Yellow Petition template, please first contact ESS.