All applications must be submitted through the Berkeley campus’ Online Application for graduate admissions. Please take care to ensure all email addresses, as well as your own email address, are entered correctly. Applications that are incomplete by the time of review will not be competitive for admission. Making sure an application is complete is solely the responsibility of the applicant and should be done in a timely manner. The application process is ENTIRELY ONLINE. Please DO NOT mail copies of essays, transcripts, GRE AND TOEFL scores, publications, resumes or recommendation letter.
Note: The application fee is waived for UC Berkeley undergraduate applicants.
|Academic History||Yes – Please include transcripts for all higher institutions (Community Colleges, 4 Year Universities, study-abroad, etc.)|
Yes. We require two (2).
We recommend that you send your recommenders notifications through the application system long before you submit your application so that they can submit their letters by the 1/6/2023 deadline.
|Employment||Yes, if applicable|
GRE scores are not required for Fall 2023 admissions.
International Students should refer to Graduate Division Requirements regarding the Evidence of English Language Proficiency requirement.
|Statement of Purpose||Yes|
|Personal History Statement||Yes|
|MEng Program Page||
Grades: Please complete the form according to our definitions, not the ones provided to you by campus.
International students are required to provide the categories that are marked with an asterisk. For them, the other categories are not mandatory but recommended.
Cumulative GPA Definition:
Advanced GPA Definition:
Major GPA Definition:
2 Year GPA Definition:
Please only upload a calculation if you are including non-UC Berkeley grades.
*International students should refer to the following references to help them calculate this:
|Supporting Materials||This section is optional, but we prefer a CV/Resume to be uploaded. We do not require a writing sample.|
|Payment||Yes, but the application fee is waived for UC Berkeley undergraduate applicants.|
Official Transcript Notes
We require you to upload, in PDF format, one (1) Unofficial Transcript and/or Academic Record from each college or university you have attended. Please note that even if you have not yet finished your coursework when you apply, we still require a current transcript from you. Document policies:
- Only one PDF per school will be allowed to be uploaded to the site.
- PDF files should include both the front and back side of pages. Grading legends should be included.
- International Students must provide English Translations of their Academic Records as well as documents in their original language. For more details, please visit the Graduate Division website.
- English Language Grades should appear at the beginning of the file. Translations, Legends, Degree Certificates and other material, should be towards the end of the file.
- All Social Security numbers need to be either blacked out by pen before scanning, or redacted in Adobe before you upload the documents, to protect your privacy. Please refrain from highlighting the numbers in black or changing the font color to white, as the information would still remain in the document.
- Unofficial transcripts from Bear Facts will be accepted (for UC Berkeley Students).
- Once you have submitted your Online Application, you will not be able to update these materials, and unfortunately, due the number of applications we receive, we will not be able to upload them for you. Please do not email or mail us updated transcripts as they will not be reviewed. Thank you for your understanding in this matter.
For more information about transcripts, please visit the Graduate Division website.
Major Field and Research Focus Areas
As part of the online application, you will be asked to provide your Major Field and Research Focus Area. These will represent your primary areas of study and research during your graduate studies in Mechanical Engineering at Berkeley. The Research Focus Areas have been determined by the faculty as current major themes of research in the department. As these categories do not include all of our research activities, you are encouraged to examine faculty webpages for additional research topics. To further understand your interests, we also ask that you provide us with your preference, if any, of research method.
Your selections of major field and research focus area, along with your preference of research method, will be used during the admissions process to guide us both in determining which faculty members are best suited to review your application and in the selection processes for various kinds of financial support.
Graduate Record Exam (GRE) Notes
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the GRE is not required for Fall 2023 Admissions Cycle.
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Notes
- TOEFL/IELTS Scores DEADLINE: Friday, January 6, 2023, 8:59 PM PST.
- For Fall 2023, tests taken before June 1, 2021 will not be accepted.
- For more detailed information, please see visit the Graduate Division website.
- IELTS tests should be sent directly to:
Graduate Admissions Office – UC Berkeley
Re: IELTS Test Score for the Department of Mechanical Engineering
318 Sproul Hall #5900
Berkeley, CA 94720-5900
Two (2) Letters of Recommendation Notes
- Due Friday, January 6, 2023, 8:59 PM PST.
- Letters of Recommendations will be gathered electronically as part of the Online Application.
- Having more than 3 letters, though we allow it, is not recommended. Due to the volume of applications we receive every year, there is no guarantee that additional letters will be read. Also, please note that we may verify the authenticity of the letters submitted for you.
- It can be a good idea to ask your recommenders if they can write you a good, detailed letter. The best letters gauge your ability and potential for research and graduate study as well as your leadership capability, often citing examples from the recommenders own experiences with you.
- For more advice, please visit the Career Center website.